High Risk Work Licenses FAQs

It is the duty of the government to ensure that all citizens are safe at all times. For this reason, government agencies often have a significant role to play in protecting the safety of employees at the workplace.

This protection is offered in various ways. Issuance of high-risk work licenses is one of the various ways through which the mentioned protection is offered. This article discusses three common questions about high-risk work licenses for the benefit of independent contractors looking to make a first-time application for the same.

Who Needs A High-Risk Work License?

Independent contractors involved in a number of commercial activities are required to have a high-risk work license. High-risk work licenses are categorized into classes according to different types of high-risk commercial activities.

Examples of contractors who need high-risk work licenses include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Contractors who handle asbestos and asbestos-containing products regularly
  • Contractors who undertake activities that involve the use of basic, intermediate, or advanced scaffolding
  • Contractors who use cranes, forklifts and related equipment on a regular basis
  • Those who work with boilers and related pressure vessels.

Are There Preliminary Requirements For Issuance Of High-Risk Work Licenses?

Before an independent contractor is issued with a high-risk work licenses, he or she has to go for a preliminary assessment. The aim of this assessment is to establish whether the contractor in question is competent enough to safely undertake high-risk work.

The preliminary assessment is done by a licensed assessor, available from one of several registered training organizations, often referred to as RTOs

Upon confirmation that an independent contractor is competent, the assessor issues a Notice of Assessment in duplicate. The original copy of this notice is included in the application for a high-risk work license. Independent contractors get to keep the duplicate copy of this notice as evidence that they're competent workers until such a time when the license is ready.

Is A Separate License Required For Contractor Who Undertake High-Risk Work In More Than One Class?

An independent contractor may handle asbestos containing products regularly. At the same time, they may have to use a forklift or crane many times when on duty.

Such contractors need not apply for separate high-risk work licenses for the different types of work done.

Different classes of high-risk work can be added to a single license. As such, contractors need to ensure that they apply for all classes of high-risk work that relate to them. However, it is important to point out that the competency of contractors will be assessed separately for ever class of high-risk work that a contractor would wish to have on their license.

For more information, contact All Onsite Training and Assessment or a similar company.